Visitor Services Assistants (VSAs) serve in a highly visible and key role at the Pérez Art Museum Miami. As representatives of the Museum and the PAMM team at large, VSAs
should be polite, knowledgeable and attentive to the needs of all Museum visitors, as well as professional in personal presence and demeanor. As the first point of contact for PAMM guests, VSAs should be prepared to offer prompt, consistent and superior service whether selling admission, greeting tours or groups, checking items (from suitcases to strollers) answering the telephone, directing calls or providing Museum orientation or directions. VSAs are expected to anticipate visitors’ many and varied needs, and graciously provide information and/or assistance in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Knowledgeable in standard computer applications and programs e.g., MS Word, Adobe Reader, Internet/Email, file management and database familiarity required.
- Previous experience in customer service preferred.
- Must enjoy working with the public, meeting new people and partnering with various teams within the Museum.
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Genuine interest in or enthusiasm for contemporary art; background in studio arts or art history helpful.
- Broad general knowledge and interest in the community of Miami and surrounding region (particularly area attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc.)
- Assist with Museum reception and visitor services; meeting and greeting the general public at the Museum’s lobby reception desk.
- Provide accurate information about the Museum, exhibitions, educational or planned programs and special events, plus Miami travel and destination related guidance as necessary.
- Sell admission, tickets, and assist with reservations for Museum programs and special exhibitions in person, over the phone, or via mail/email.
- Sell memberships and provide PAMM membership/benefits information.
- Handle and balance cash/credit transactions utilizing a Point of Sale/database constituent management system.
- Answer the main Museum phone extension, as well as provide occasional coverage for Museum Receptionist (including interoffice mail distribution).
- Assist with registration and guest reception during featured or special events.
- Extend reception to school tours (greet school chaperones, assist with group division, facilitate gallery transitions for the teaching artist, etc.)
- Assist in assuring a safe environment for both artwork and visitors alike.
- (Reminding visitors of Museum etiquette – no touching, photography policy, etc.)
- Provide coverage when necessary for all workstations within Visitor Services.
- Solve basic Museum visitor concerns and respond/note visitor complaints.
- Perform office, floor and gallery tasks: greeting, ticket-taking, restocking printed materials, providing breaks for coworkers, printing and folding programs, stuffing envelopes, completing confirmation letters, filing, etc.
- Provide support as needed for other departments within the Museum.
Skills to be Enhanced or Developed on the Job:
- Ability to represent the Museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism, adhere to Museum policies and support management decisions in a positive, professional manner.
- Will learn about all aspects of visitor/hospitality services through training and on the job experience.
- Creative problem solving ability (“thinking outside the box”), initiative and professional competence when confronted with unexpected situations.
- Training on basic to intermediate use of Altru (a Point of Sale/database constituent management system), office equipment within Museum, etc.
- Learn to work within a team staff environment, supported by an enthusiastic professional staff.
- PAMM supervisors will provide work orientation which includes layout of the building, emergency and security procedures, names and positions of Museum colleagues,
- Board, Trustee, donors, docents, guides, artists, gallerists, etc., as well as, training for new or additional responsibilities as need arises.
- Will meet to tour/discuss and learn more about work within PAMM exhibitions, programming and events.
- VSAs are required to attend regular staff meetings.
* Visitor Service Assistants will be scheduled to work based on the daily and changing needs of the Museum. Weekends, evenings and availability for special events (such as late-night openings) is expected.
Submit your resume to email@example.com.